It is another project in the house with the beam that I posted about recently.
I wanted the shelf to look nice, be durable enough for a bathroom, and take the minimum of shop time to construct. This is what I came up with:
Like usual, it took quite a bit longer than I anticipated, but it still was a quick project. There is no glue and no fasteners. This shelf stays put because it is in a nook supported by three walls.
|Shelves are rabbetted in to the supports.|
One of the biggest experiments with this project is I tried out a new finish. I read about it in a Fine Woodworking article from a while back. It is Spar Varnish sanded in wet and wiped off. I thinned it with a solvent for the first coat, sanded with 120 w/d paper (the article said to start with 220, but I didn't really do any preparing of the surfaces like I usually do: I just took the plastic off of these boards and slapped the finish on).
I still had a lot of this thinned finish left, so instead of wasting it, I used it with 180 for the second coat. It looks nice, and I think I'll leave it at this. Except, there is a little bit of the slurry that didn't get wiped off of the shelves properly, so I probably will go over those parts with one more coat at 220 and call it good.
- Helping out friends can be rewarding.
- A nice project doesn't have to be complicated.
- Things always take a lot longer than I intend (especially in my shop).
- This spar varnish (Bootslack auf Deutsch) is a pretty good looking finish that isn't that difficult to apply in this way. It dries quickly, too!